What is the best vacuum cleaner on the market?
Dog fluff, bits of food … When the weekend comes, and you finally don’t have to work, you have to clean. Crazy party! Indeed there are a thousand and one things that you want more than taking the brush and the dustpan.
But now, with vacuum cleaners, cleaning the house is easier than ever. The machines are getting smaller, lighter, and more powerful, and even autonomous! And if you don’t have one yet, it’s because you don’t want to (and not because of price),
Of course, there are so many types available on the market that it can be crazy to choose it without knowledge or help. That is why we have worked and compared the best vacuum cleaners on the market below.
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase,...
- Powerful pet hair pick up with triple action brush roll + scatter free technology
- Swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles
- Clean edges and corners with edge to edge cleaning. Cleaning path width: 13.5 inch
- Remove pet hair with specialized pet tools including pet hair corner tool and pet tool
- Powerful vacuum cleaner The dynamic motor and brush roll can lift stubborn and heavy debris Plus the 12 6” wide nozzle...
- 10 lbs lightweight upright vacuum The Eureka Power Speed is pretty lightweight and easy to manoeuvre Designed for whole...
- 5 height adjustment It works well on carpets shag rug hard floors etc Smooth wheels ensures hardwood floors won’t...
- 4.1L extra-large capacity the extra-large dust cup holds more dirt and requires less frequent emptying Clean more empty...
- Multiple accessories included a quick-release handle connected to the stretch hose for above-floor cleaning A...
- Self-cleaning brushroll for powerful pet hair pickup with no hair wrap.
- Use as an upright vacuum for powerful floor and carpet cleaning. Or for more portability, detach the pod to go into...
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter traps over 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum...
- Swivel Steering provides effortless maneuverability for cleaning hard-to-reach areas.
- Suction control slider to manage suction power from hard floors to carpets.
- 【4 in 1 & Quick Pick Up】Outstanding 17000PA suction picks up larger debris with ease unlike other stick vacuum...
- 【2 Mode】A red button designed for different cleaning require,button upward,perfect for floor cleaning,button...
- 【Swivel Steering】GeeMo stick vacuum cleaner improves maneuverability and cleaning efficiency when compared to...
- 【High-end Filtration System with HEPA】Powerful motor picks up particles like dust and pollen, while the washable...
- 【23-foot Power Cord & Large Dust Cup】Ensure you get the job done faster,12-Month Warranty,GeeMo's nozzle picks up...
- Dust cup capacity 2.2 quarts; Lift away; Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology plus a HEPA filter; Traps 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- Powerful and lightweight; Portable and versatile at 13.7 pounds
- Brush roll shutoff; Deep carpet and gentle bare floor cleaning
- Hard floor hero attachment not included
- 【4-in-1 Multiple Design】LT450 with a variety of accessories, handheld mode to be 4-in-1 vacuum cleaner. No matter be...
- 【New-Generation 450W Motor】LT450 vacuum cleaner is equipped with a powerful 450W motor.The upgrade version provides...
- 【4 Stages Advanced Filtration System】Complete sealing design and high-density HEPA filter provide excellent...
- 【Super Long Cord】LT450 Vacuum Cleaner with 16.4 feet cord, it can clean the area of 78.5 square meters and reduce...
- 【Professional After-sales Service】MOOSOO has a first-class after-sales team. We offer a 12 month warranty and 7*24...
- PERFECT FOR PETS: Multi-purpose pet tools tackle stubborn pet hair and dirt on furniture, stairs and hard to reach areas
- RUNS LIKE NEW 3X LONGER: The enhanced MAXLife System delivers longer lasting suction to maintain peak performance...
- POWERFUL CLEANING ON ALL FLOORS: Simply steer around furniture and into tight spaces on carpet and hard floors using the...
- SEALED ALLERGEN WITH HEPA MEDIA FILTRATION: Captures and contains 99% of dust and allergens with an odor minimizing...
- XL DIRT CUP: A large easy empty dirt cup means less trips to the trash for a more convenient clean
- Buy Bissell, save pets Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase,...
- Triple action brush roll + scatter free technology maximize pet hair pickup – even if it’s embedded
- 27’ power cord automatically rewinds for quick and easy storage. Cleaning path width - 13.5 inch
- Swivel steering makes cleaning around furniture and obstacles easy
- Edge to edge cleaning feature gets closer to walls and corners with each pass
- 【17Kpa Powerful Suction】Perfect for marble, tile and hardwood floor, pick up all debris, such as cat litter, dog...
- 【3 Stages Advanced Filtration System】Complete sealing design and high-density HEPA filter provide excellent...
- 【Rotatable Brush Head】Flexible joint could free to clean the dirt under the furniture and bed, clean up dead...
- 【Adjustable Tube】18-30 inches adjustable length, easily to reach 10 feet high, such as ceilings and vents, etc. Long...
- 【4.4lbs Lightweight & 2 in 1】It’s weighs only 4.4pounds, can be operated with one hand relaxing and easy to clean...
- High performance cordless vacuum for whole home use featuring a 450W motor and up to 120W of suction power for deep,...
- Single 2500mAH Lithium Battery provides up to 40 minutes of uninterrupted runtime, great for whole-home cleaning.
- Easily converts to a handheld vacuum with versatile attachments to reach corners, stairs and crevices.
- Extra large 0.6L dustbin captures dirt and pet hair.
- A11 HERO model includes: Full-size LED Multi-tasker Power Brush, Mini Power Brush, Pre-Filter(2), Pre-Filter Cleaning...
Tips for choosing a good vacuum cleaner
Buying a vacuum cleaner can be one of the most challenging tasks, especially if you are not even sure what type you will buy. Wireless, wired, robot, bagless … Crazy. And that’s not to mention the number of models and brands on the market. Do not be overwhelmed; some of the essential factors that you should consider when buying the best vacuum cleaner for your home are these:
- Type of dirt: you must consider if what you are going to vacuum is everyday dust or if, for example, you need to collect pet hair (even several); or extra waste, such as ash from a fireplace or a pellet stove or similar.
- Power: the higher the power, the greater the suction capacity. This is related to the previous point, since, depending on the type of dirt and the area’s size, you may need more power and autonomy to obtain better results.
- Mobility: whatever it is, it should be easy to handle and move quickly. Also, the lighter, the better.
- Brand: It is crucial to consider the endorsement of a recognized brand if what you are looking for is quality. Thus, it will incorporate the latest technologies and quality materials. Also, you can consult the opinions of buyers and experts and reviews and rankings of its best models.
- Price: you can find different prices depending on the qualities and technical characteristics you are looking for. Remember that what is good for someone does not necessarily have to be right for you. Find out with our buying guide and choose the model that best suits you, your home, if you can forget about the price factor to buy the best on the market.
Buying guide for the best vacuum cleaner on the market
You and I know that you would love to have the perfect house every time. The problem comes when it comes to spending the little time you have on housework. We have a thousand things to do; we are tired of work, and sweeping the house is not usually one of our priorities, right?
That is why we are clear that the vacuum cleaner is our friend. Here we compare all the types, and we teach you how to differentiate a high-end product and one with hardly any technologies. We have taken into account aspects such as ease of use, power, tank, autonomy, lightness, opinions of buyers and organizations such as the OCU, and many more. Shall we start?
What is a vacuum cleaner or vacuum cleaner?
It is a device or appliance for the home in which a potent motor sucks dirt through a handle and stores it in a tank, and all easily and quickly.
Many types evolve over the years, incorporating better and better technologies that facilitate cleaning the floors of the house.
What should you take into account to buy your vacuum cleaner?
There are many points in common between the different models of vacuum cleaners on the market, and knowing them is critical to choose the one that best suits your budget without losing quality along the way. Here we bring you the most exciting points to consult and compare the different models before buying your product:
- Device power
The power of the vacuum cleaner is essential because it will help us know the product’s suction capacity: the higher it is, the more cleaning capacity it will have. This is the theory, although, in practice, it is not because the suction depends on other factors as well, and not just on the power.
You must bear in mind that, depending on the manufacturer, this suction power may vary and is sometimes not well used.
It does not happen in the high-end models of the big known brands; hence they are more reliable when buying a product like this. Runaway from unknown brands, especially if they are mega cheap.
- Filter for vacuuming
These filters are essential since they are the ones that ensure that all the dust ends up in the tank and does not end up in the house again. If the filter is not right, the vacuuming loses efficiency, and the result is having to pass the vacuum cleaner several times through the same place, making us waste more time on the task.
The most common type of filter in quality vacuum cleaners is the HEPA filter (High-Efficiency Particle Arrester). It is a filter that traps most of the dust microparticles, ensuring that the air in the room is ready and does not end when using a duster: with all the air in the living room full of dust. It is something fundamental to assess, especially if there are people at home who suffer from some kind of allergy to dust or mites.
Classification of filters for vacuum cleaners recommended by the OCU:
- EPA filters: They are high-efficiency filters, they are usually of 3 classes; E10, E11, and E12.
- HEPA filters: They are very high-efficiency filters and the most widespread along with the EPA, they are subdivided into two classes: H13 and H14.
- ULPA filters: They are ultra-low penetration filters, they are for areas with a maximum level of cleanliness, such as hospitals, residences, or similar, you have three classes: U15, U16, and U17.
- Ease of use: device size and weight
When buying a vacuum cleaner, it is imperative to consider some aspects that the OCU recommends, such as the space you have to store it. If you have room on your terrace, perhaps a sled vacuum cleaner is a good option. On the contrary, if the place where you plan to put it is a closet, the best would be an upright vacuum cleaner or a robot type.
Another important aspect is the weight. If your house is enormous, and the product is heavy, it can make the cleaning task much more complicated, especially if you have to go up and downstairs.
And finally, the mobility of the vacuum cleaner is essential. If it is not easy and comfortable to use, you will use it two times and leave it abandoned. Therefore, you have to take into account things like:
- Does the appliance have wheels? If c ACCOUNT wheeled displacement will be easier and comfortable, your back will not suffer.
- Is it wireless or wired? If you have a cable, it is essential to know the number of meters it has to see if we can clean comfortably, or it is going to limit ourselves to the plugs that the house has, which is what usually happens. If it is wireless, the battery’s autonomy is something to take into account also depending on the time we spend cleaning.
- How tall is the vacuum cleaner? Keep this in mind, since if you are very tall and the handle of it is low and cannot be adjusted, you will not clean in an uncomfortable position.
- Vacuum cleaner autonomy and battery
When we use a cordless or cordless vacuum cleaner, the cleaning task is much more comfortable. However, you have to take into account the autonomy of the appliance battery: it is not a good thing that 20 minutes after starting the storm begins to weaken, and suction power is lost.
Usually, the autonomy of a vacuum cleaner will depend on its voltage: the higher its voltage capacity, the more independence it usually has and this also usually translates into its price, many times you will see cheap vacuum cleaners that seem to have everything, but when you look at it In things like suction power or autonomy they leave much to be desired, try to have a minimum of 20V.
While you are cleaning your home, also keep in mind that: the higher the power, the lower the battery will be. It is the same that happens with the mobile battery when we raise the brightness of the screen.
Another thing that is usually recommended in wireless vacuum cleaners is the classic charge indicator, which will help us know if we will have enough time to finish the cleaning.
- Device noise
Depending on where you live, sometimes it is advisable to consider the decibels that your device has, since if you are in a chalet, it may not be necessary. Still, in a small apartment where you can disturb the neighbors, it keeps in mind and what the OCU emphasizes.
You have quite a few models that take great care of this aspect being silent vacuum cleaners: although they continue to emit sound, this is much less, so it does not bother so much from one room to another.
What type of vacuum cleaners are you looking for?
- Best Nilfisk Hand Vacuums
- Best Floor Mops
- Best Ash Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Bagless Industrial Vacuums
- Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
- Best Steam Mops
- Best Handheld Vacuums
- Best Cordless Vacuums
- Best Quiet Vacuums
- Best Stick Vacuums
How to use your vacuum cleaner?
If you already bought your vacuum cleaner, here we bring you some beneficial tricks to get the most out of it, and your home is impeccable:
- Read the instructions – Although it can be tedious, it is necessary that you become familiar with the parts and that you take into account any risks in the operation of the product. That is why we recommend that you read the manufacturer’s manual.
- Prepare the place – It is crucial that before you start vacuuming, you clear the entire area, making sure to remove small objects from the ground that can be sucked in and damage the device.
- Vacuum direction – You must move the head from back to front and vice versa since it is at the moment of going around that the vacuum cleaner performs the suction function.
- Use the accessories – Use the different nozzles as indicated in the instructions, since, in this way, you will achieve better results and less effort. Don’t use the traditional brush to vacuum areas other than the floor.
- Clean the reservoir – The best way to maintain your vacuum cleaner’s performance level is to empty the pool frequently and, if possible, at the end of each cleaning routine.
How does a vacuum cleaner work?
The operation of a vacuum cleaner consists of sucking in the air near the nozzle and the dust that is there. This process is carried out thanks to:
- An electric motor that allows a constant flow of air.
- Said air movement causes dust particles to enter the device’s interior, which is retained in the porous filters, making the air return clean.
- This cycle is optimized thanks to the telescopic tube and flexible hose and the shapes of the nozzles, which modify the level of suction to trap dirt in more difficult places.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
The range is super varied, and it is necessary to be clear about the advantages and disadvantages of each type and their real functionalities. We have tried to summarize it below:
- Smart Robot Vacuum Cleaner
These are smart vacuum cleaners that can be programmed to clean in a specific area of your home.
They have sensors that allow them to avoid obstacles to avoid colliding and have an advantage that other vacuum cleaners cannot compete with, and that is that they work alone.
You don’t need to watch, just turn it on and enjoy a good book or movie while the best robot vacuum cleaner on the market cleans your house for you.
The first model was the Roomba iRobot, and, from there, the big brands have been launching others on the market. The Cecotec Conga is one of the most popular, but there is also the Xiaomi, although the market leader is still the Roomba iRobot in its different versions.
Parts of a vacuum cleaner
The different essential parts or pieces in a home cleaning product like this are as follows:
- Input port. It is the central part, the area where all the dirt enters. This is the nozzle area and, depending on its shape and the power of the device, it will suck up the dust better or worse.
- Filters. Its function is to retain as much dust as possible. The most recommended are HEPA filters, and they are usually essential to extend the useful life of the product or improve its suction speed.
- Port of departure. It is the area through which the air is expelled after the dust particles fall on the vacuum cleaner container. This port is usually always located on the top of the device.
- Deposit. It is usually the largest and most solemn part of the device. It is responsible for accumulating dirt and, depending on the type of vacuum cleaner, and sometimes it is a bag that you have to change or a removable tank that you must empty from time to time. Knowing its capacity is essential to compare between models. The higher the tank, the more weight, but the fewer times you will need to empty it.
- Motor. It is located in the central area of the vacuum cleaner, generally above the tank or reservoir, and will be in charge of making the turns and the suction of the vacuum cleaner. The motor works based on its power and the voltage of the machine.
Types of vacuum cleaner accessories
Some of the accessories or spare parts that are used with this type of product are the following:
- Vacuum cleaner bags: it is a replacement without which your device cannot work if you have opted for a model with a backpack.
- Nozzles: These are accessories that will allow you to reach different areas that are difficult to access.
- Brushes: They will allow you to work on different floors to achieve better results and not damage them. You have different types such as, for example, the turbo brush for rugs or carpets, the parquet brush, or the two-position brush that will serve you indistinctly for all options.
Cleaning and maintaining a vacuum cleaner
Depending on the type of product you have chosen, cleaning and maintenance will be one way.
You will have to clean the tank where the dirt and filters are stored, placed in different places depending on the type of vacuum cleaner:
- On handhelds, remove the small container in which the dirt is stored. Empty it and clean it with a damp cloth.
- In those with cable, there may or may not be a bag. If you have a bag, you will only have to have spare bags compatible with your model and remove the full one and insert the new one. If you don’t have a bag, remove the dust container and empty it.
- In Roomba type robots, remove the tank, empty it and clean it with a cloth.
Vacuum Cleaner Brands
Many brands and choosing the best is not an easy task, but after a thorough analysis, we are left with these:
- Dyson Vacuum Cleaner: This brand continues to innovate to offer a comprehensive, versatile, and competitive range of premium vacuum cleaners. Cordless vacuum cleaners, sled, vertical, hand, and even robot vacuum cleaners are part of its catalog, standing out among the best sellers and best-valued Dyson V7, V10, and V11 wireless models.
- Rowenta vacuum cleaner: German brand born more than 100 years ago stands out for manufacturing powerful models with reduced energy consumption. Highlights its Rowenta Air Force 460 cordless broom vacuum cleaner, the Air Force Extreme Silence cordless, the Swift Power Cyclonic with cord, its Rowenta Smart Force Essential Aqua robot, and the bagless Silence Force Multi model.
- Roomba Vacuum Cleaner: world-famous brand thanks to its autonomous robots born in 2002, and that continues to improve today. If you have a budget, it is the best robot vacuum cleaner on the market. We highlight the 671, 960, and I7 models.
- Bosh Vacuum Cleaner: the brand is always linked to the avant-garde in terms of engineering applied to the home, and its current line of vacuum cleaners is no exception. Its new bags with unique technology increase the performance, durability, and elimination of its models’ allergens. We highlight the Bosch Unlimited Series 8 (cordless broom), the Bosch BBH218LTD Readyy’y 2-in-1 (cordless and handheld), and the 700W Corded ProSilence.
Stores where you can buy a vacuum cleaner
There are many online home appliance stores. But why fool ourselves? Those that have a more varied catalog and offer better purchase and return conditions are the following:
- Amazon vacuum cleaner store: one of the best places to buy high-end models at excellent prices, it is the best platform to buy this type of product online due to its extensive catalog and conditions.
- El Corte Inglés vacuum cleaner store: An excellent online store to buy all kinds of household products, although the prices are higher than in the previous one. Of course, they work with the best brands and are among the first to sell the latest models launched on the market.
- Worten vacuum cleaner store: it has thousands of stores spread across Spain, but its online store is still not fully operational in speed, support, and efficiency.
- Carrefour vacuum cleaner store: The French giant has a wide range of household appliances in general, although the catalog is smaller than in Amazon, and there is usually a lack of stock when you are looking for high-end models.
Frequently asked questions from our readers.
Countless doubts arise when buying and using a household product like this. In our buying guide you will find all the information, but below you also have extra information because we have answered the most common questions:
Which is better: a bagged or bagless vacuum?
Bagged vacuums have a slightly easier operation, as the dirt from the suctioned air passes straight through the tube and into the bag. Once this is full, the suction begins to decrease.
The main disadvantage of bagged vacuums is the ongoing expense you will have to spend on disposable bags. Although there are models with reusable bags, these must be washed and dried before using them again.
Bagless vacuum cleaners work with a cyclonic air system that sucks in dust, traps it in a filter, and returns clean air. The debris is trapped in a tank that is removable and easy to clean. This mechanism will save you money in buying bags.
However, you should bear in mind that these vacuum cleaners require frequent emptying of the filter since without having a bag, the particles can go directly to the motor mechanism and damage it.
Which is better: an upright or sled vacuum?
In terms of power and results, both models offer a wide range of excellent quality products. So choosing an upright or sled vacuum will depend on other factors. One of the most important is space; verticals tend to take up less space when storing them thanks to their parking position. Therefore, they can be a good option if you don’t have a lot of storage space.
For its part, sled vacuum cleaners do not require charging, so you can always use them: you just have to plug it in and go. In contrast, upright vacuums require charging the battery. This process can take several hours, limiting the cleaning routine. Still, afterward, they are autonomous, and cleaning is much more comfortable without the need to be moving cables and changing from plug to socket.
Which is better: a cordless or corded vacuum cleaner?
A cordless vacuum cleaner has the most significant advantage: it allows you to move around more easily. It doesn’t matter how big the area is. That is why they are highly recommended for large homes and small ones since you do not have to worry about the length of the cable and have to disconnect and connect it many times during cleaning.
However, corded vacuums today offer designs that are also very comfortable, such as long cable lengths and caster wheels that help make mobilizing equipment convenient. Also, they do not require recharging batteries.
Is there a vacuum cleaner that works by itself?
The future is today that a little robot cleaning your house automatically is no longer part of science fiction or a chapter in Black Mirror.
Smart robot vacuum cleaners have been on the market for just over ten years and are getting better and cheaper. They are usually round or oval, similar to a disk, and have autonomy of movement.
Although not all, more and more leading brands are launching their robot vacuum cleaners, so it is likely that the offer will only grow, and we have a fairly comprehensive catalog of models.
What vacuum do cleaners scrub too?
There are few models, but among those that exist, the Conga Excellence from Cecotec stands out. This vacuum has two types of the reservoir, allowing you to clean in four stages: sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and scrubbing. The floor is immaculate and without lifting a finger.
Do you recommend any vacuum cleaner for the car in particular?
The options are varied, and it is difficult to choose.
A car vacuum should be versatile, lightweight, with the right accessories and good power. Although there are several that meet these characteristics, we recommend the Electrolux ZB3013 because it is a 2-in-1 that, in its handheld vacuum cleaner mode and with brush accessories, can quickly fulfill the function of vacuuming your car but, also, it is an upright vacuum cleaner that will serve you for other tasks. So, you have a great vacuum cleaner for your vehicle and, incidentally, a vertical one for your house.
Are there vacuum cleaners that work with water?
Although at first, it may seem a bit strange, they do exist. They usually use the water either for their filter or to fulfill the function of mopping. A couple of examples are the Hoover SSNV 1400 vacuum cleaner —with a water tank and steam regulator, for mopping function— and the two-speed Taurus Speedfight 29.2 —with a water filter.
Who Invented Vacuum Cleaners?
As in almost all inventions, there is controversy over who was the inventor of this technology. It is common for the British Hubert Cecil Booth or the American James Murray Spangler to be named the first to unveil precursor technologies of what we now know as a vacuum cleaner. However, patent documents have a prior registration to either of the two mentioned above. It is Daniel Hess —from Iowa, United States—, who in 1860 patented a suction-based cleaning system for floors and folders. This is the oldest record of a vacuum cleaner patent.
It would be fair to say that it was the first advance and that the vacuum cleaner emerged with the passage of time and other people’s subsequent developments.