What is the best steam cleaner on the market?
Encrusted dirt and scrubbing stains, buying a bunch of costly and unhealthy chemical cleaners, and worst of all – spending your free time and cleaning.
No one likes intensive cleaning, but fortunately, there are already products such as steam cleaners or steam cleaners that make our lives easier by doing a deep, easy and fast cleaning with just a few strokes.
The problem comes when choosing which one to buy, given the wide variety of types, makes, and models. We have analyzed the best ones in our comparison, and we present you with a complete buying guide below.
Tips for choosing a good steamer vacuum cleaner
Choosing the best steam cleaner on the market for your home is not easy since there are many technical characteristics that you must take into account. Some of the most important that you should review and compare between models are the following:
- Surface: the more different surfaces your machine allows you to clean, the better. For this, it will be necessary to include the maximum number of accessories possible.
- Power: if you want an intense cleaning, do not buy machines with skills lower than 1000 watts.
- Size: larger ( cylindrical and industrial ) or smaller and portable ( handheld ), lighter or heavier. Depending on the surface you are going to clean and the storage space you have, you can choose between them. Check dimensions and confirm that it is the perfect size for you.
- Heating time and temperature: if you are looking for a manual steam cleaner, 130 degrees will be enough, but the most powerful ones usually work with temperatures from 200ºC. The sooner you heat the water, the better, especially if you have to refill the tank to finish cleaning. The usual thing is that they take 10 minutes, approximately.
- Capacity: the larger the water tank, the fewer times you will have to fill it, although the device will be more massive. Assess what type of cleaning you are going to do and if you need models with the maximum capacity.
- Cable: We recommend choosing a product that has a power cable with a long length to give you more freedom of movement. And there are even some models of the cordless steam broom or cordless steam mop that can serve you for more natural and faster cleaning, although less forceful.
Buying guide: which steamer to buy?
Now that we know which are the best domestic steamers on the market, it’s time to learn how to choose the best model. To do this, we recommend that you read the following buying guide with advice that you will find an answer to all the doubts you may have and that you must solve before making your purchase.
What is a steamer
It is a household appliance that easily and quickly uses a steam system to clean, dry, and disinfect surfaces.
The main advantages of using this type of machine for cleaning at home are the following:
- They remove stains by the roots without the need for chemicals or detergents.
- You do not need to apply great efforts to remove dirt.
- It has the water storage capacity to clean large surfaces, most of the time.
- You can clean different surfaces, from the smoothest to tufted carpets.
How to use a steam cleaner to clean?
If it is the first time you buy this product and do not know how to use it, do not worry because we will leave you a series of steps that you can follow that will undoubtedly facilitate the task and the entire process.
- Fill the reservoir – The first thing you should do is fill the tank with water.
- Place the head – Proceed to place the head for subsequent cleaning of the surface.
- Regulate pressure – Set the level of stress you want to work with, depending on the surface.
- Wait for heating – Wait the necessary time for the water to heat up.
- Slide the head – Begin to slide the head over the surface and let the steam act.
How does steam cleaner work?
These devices remove dirt and keep the floor germ-free. Through heat and high temperature, the surface is sanitized more deeply, and the best thing is that the machine does it all.
Move the head over the surface to remove any traces of dust.
- The machine works by connecting it to the electrical network, filling the tank and waiting for it to reach the correct temperature to clean in depth.
- The extreme heat of the steam kills bacteria, germs, mould, dust mites, and embedded dirt. You have to slide the machine across the surface you want to clean.
- The steam molecules penetrate the pores of the surface to be cleaned, extracting dirt and germs.
Types of steamers
Depending on the use that you are going to give your machine, and the surface that you are going to clean regularly, you can choose between various types of steam cleaning machines. The most popular are the following:
- Handheld Steam Cleaner – Small, portable, and specially designed for easy cleaning of ornaments and decorative items, upholstery, fabrics, and the like.
- Steam mop incorporates a pad attached to the end of the grip handle, imitating a traditional mop, but it is soaked with the help of steam and thus improves the cleaning of dust, hair, and dirt from the floor once swept or vacuumed. Ideal if you have children or pets at home. Many steamers include it as an accessory.
- Steam Vacuum: performs the function of the standard vacuum cleaner, but by producing steam, it works to remove bacteria and germs from carpets and upholstery, doing the cleaning to a higher degree.
- Cylinder steam cleaner: it has a large water tank and is versatile, as it includes multiple accessories to clean different surfaces and areas of the house. Even the tiles and countertops! It is larger and heavier than the rest, which makes it challenging to handle and store. Its price is high.
- Clothes steam cleaner: also known as a clothes steamer, is a compact and portable device ideal for removing wrinkles from clothes through its steam system without the need to make contact with clothes.
- Commercial or industrial steamer: it is the one used for cleaning large houses, offices and any large area without the need to use strong chemicals, since the water vapour does all the work, removing stains, germs, and dirt from floors and surfaces. It usually includes different accessories, so it is very versatile, but its price is high.
- Multipurpose steamer: consists of some of the functionalities of the rest of the types mentioned above, already through accessories, such as the mop; or through other parts that are installed and uninstalled in the main structure, such as the accessory to convert it into a handheld steamer or to use it with clothes.
Parts of a steam cleaner
They may vary depending on the type of steamer, but they all include the following pieces or parts:
- Water tank: it is the part that we fill with water and in which it is stored for heating and subsequent evaporation.
- Power supply: it is usually a wired outlet through which the connection to the electrical current that will operate the machine is made.
- Controls and settings panel: this is where the on / off buttons and the different functions and settings are located.
- Safety valve: it is an extra safety function specially designed for children. Thus, they will not be able to activate the device without the help of an adult.
- Boiling boiler: it is responsible for heating the water in the tank and converting it into steam
- Spillway valve: it is the one that allows the steam to escape through the outlet nozzle.
- Outlet nozzle: it is the hole or slot through which hot steam comes into contact with the surface for cleaning.
Best home appliance brands for steam cleaning
If you are looking for information on the best brands, look no further, here are the best by far:
- Kärcher: It is a brand that is recognized worldwide and is responsible for offering products dedicated to cleaning professionally. It has high-quality, efficient products such as the SC 3 Easyfix, SC1, SC2, SC5, and SV 7.
- H.Koenig: A brand that offers its customers appliances of all kinds for the home, and that is intended to be used by the whole family. An excellent track record and a wide variety of models that adapt to all needs.
- Ariete: This is a brand recognized for manufacturing kitchen, cleaning, and household appliances in general. A wide variety of models and has an extensive catalogue of prices and models for all tastes.
- Clatronic: A brand that has countless products and appliances that are very useful for homemakers. It has a wide variety of high-quality products, and you will surely find one that suits your needs.
- Polti: is one of the best-known brands when it comes to looking for medium-high range steam cleaners. Its Vaporetto portable brooms and its Vaporetto Smart, Eco, and Classic models stand out.
- Cecotec: another powerful brand in household products that stands out for its 4-in-1 Cecotec Conga Steam & Clean steam cleaner model is HidroBoost 1400 EasyMove high-pressure cleaner and its Conga Wet & Dry vacuum cleaner for solids and liquids.
What type of vacuum cleaners are you looking for?
- Best Industrial Vacuums
- Best Steam Cleaner
- Best Window Cleaning Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Carpet Vacuum
- Best Vacuum Robots
- Best Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Broom Vacuums
- Best Corded Broom Vacuums
- Best Cordless Broom Vacuums
- Best 2-in-1 Broom Vacuums
- Best Philips Handheld Vacuums
- Best Nilfisk Hand Vacuums
- Best Floor Mops
- Best Ash Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Bagless Industrial Vacuums
- Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
- Best Steam Mops
- Best Handheld Vacuums
- Best Cordless Vacuums
- Best Quiet Vacuums
- Best Stick Vacuums
Where can you buy a steam cleaner?
Find the best models available in the most recognized stores on the market, and below, we will mention some of them so that you can start investigating.
- Amazon: If you are looking for the best variety of products and different prices, then the best place to visit is Amazon. It has products of all ranges and the best brands on the market, such as Karcher, Polti, Solac, Cecotec, and others.
- El Corte Inglés: Another top-rated store for buying expensive household appliances or cleaning devices like this one. However, the catalogue is smaller than in the case of Amazon, they have less stock, and the order usually takes longer to place.
- eBay: A portal for the purchase and sale of products of all kinds. You will find steam vacuums, but with quite limited functions, they can be specific to one type of surface and not convenient in the long run. If you want a brand new quality device, it is not the best store to buy it. If you want something inexpensive, take a look.
- Aliexpress: Although there are appliances of this type, you should know that they may not have an extensive working capacity or reach temperatures to eliminate the dirt at the root. If you are looking for quality and well-known brands, better opt for Amazon.
- MediaMarkt: They have a steam equipment section where you will find products from brands such as Karcher or Cecotec, but the variety is scarce, and they hardly have models available in their online catalogue.
Frequently asked questions about steamers.
We solve some of the common doubts that our readers interested in buying a steam cleaner have sent us:
What can I NOT clean with a steam cleaner?
This type of device can damage some areas or elements of the home, such as:
- Floors are not appropriately sealed.
- Plastic parts that can melt due to the high temperature of the steam.
- Laminate flooring or similar (some swell, depending on the type of material).
- It was covered with water-based paint.
- Delicate or porous surfaces, such as concrete.